The wine-loading crane (Weinkran), built in 1743/44 is the town's landmark. The crane is a weather boarded, half-timbered construction on an area of approx. 8 x 8 m. Together with the wooded side arm its roof top is pivotable. Prisoners were used to drive the rope pulley by means of big treadwheels inside the crane (even today treadmill is the synonym for unpleasant, uniform work). The quay wall was built at the same time as the crane with blocks of stone of the former Palace of Mainz. Of course, wine barrels were largely loaded here.