Gardens & Parks in the Cultural Region of the Rheingau
The unique experience of nature among vines, wine landscape and forest in the cultural region of the Rheingau attracts many visitors and offers great opportunities for hiking, walking, cycling and lingering.
The numerous idyllic, romantic rose and monastery gardens as well as spa parks and landscape gardens invite lovers of nature for extended walks or for one of the offered, informative guided tours.
Whether you want to learn how to cut roses professionally or want to follow the traces of famous spa guests the Rheingau offers all this and so much more.
Visit the following romantic gardens & parks.
Further information on the romantic gardens in the surrounding regions of Rhinehesse, Naheland and Romantic Rhine can be obtained at:
Spa Park Bad Weilbach Flörsheim/Main
The sulphur spring in Bad Weilbach has been spluttering for many centuries. Visitors can convince themselves of the healing power for mind and body the incomparably fragrant water may and can be drunk. As early as 1784 the spring was surrounded and was used as a spa and health resort. At that time the water was used for diseases of the skin and respiratory organs.
The cast-iron pavilion at the sulphur spring and the landscape gardening design of the spa park, in which a distinctive alley of sycamore trees under preservation order connect the spring area with the rural road from Flörsheim to Weilbach, was established in 1832. Six years later the Kurhaus in the classicist style was completed. A second spring, located in the direction to Weilbach, a natron lithium spring, was surrounded in 1860.
The bathing business as well as the existing dispatch of water, as a result of which up to 200,000 water jugs were dispatched per year, developed enormously until the golden age of bathing in the third quarter of the 19th century. At the beginning of the 20th century the spa business was finally discontinued.
Today, the former spa park and its facilities including a game reserve with deer and fallow deer in the park is a great destination for families with children. And each year at the Whitsun Weekend the festival Bad Weilbacher Brunnenfest takes place around the sulphur spring.
Kurpark Bad Weilbach
65439 Flörsheim am Main
Rose Garden of the Castle of the Sovereigns Elect, Eltville/Rhine
The rose garden in the Castle of the Sovereigns Elect Eltville/Rhine (Kurfürstlichen Burg Eltville am Rhein) was established in 1979. It has more than 350 different kinds of roses from historical roses, rambling roses up to 10 meters high and Japanese roses. The roses are located in the castles garden, but also in the historical castle moat as well as at the Rhine promenade. Among these are numerous kinds of roses which are very rare.
Eltville/Rhine has been recognised as town of roses by the Association of German Rose Lovers (Verein Deutscher Rosenfreunde) since 1988.
Each year at the beginning of June the town invites visitors to the event Rose Days (Rosentage) to Eltville/Rhine. More than 10,000 roses bloom during summer.
Further information is available here: Rose garden of the Castle of the Sovereigns Elect.
65343 Eltville am Rhein
Phone: 06123 - 90980
Gardens at Eberbach Monastery
The Gardens around Eberbach Monastery (Gartenanlage Kloster Eberbach) are about 7.5 ha big and are open to the public year-round.
Visitors can find different types of gardens here partly in baroque style, mostly, however, park landscape.
The gardens were designed at the beginning of the 18th century. The realized concept took over many worldly influences and created contemporary formal gardens in this way, as they were realised in Germany already 50 years earlier in palaces gardens and parks.
The adjoining gastronomy and wine store are open for visitors.
The participation in wine tastings while walking around Eberbach Monastery and art in the outdoor enslosures is available upon request.
A car and coach park is available directly at the monastery complex.
Bus connection: Line 172 Eltville HBF - Kloster Eberbach (operates hourly).
Further information can be obtained at: Kloster Eberbach
Stiftung Kloster Eberbach
65346 Eltville am Rhein
Phone: 06723 - 9178 100
Monrepos Park / Research Institute Geisenheim
Monrepos Park is part of the Research Institute Geisenheims park. It is open year-round.
Monrepos was damaged during World War II and was afterwards redesigned. Today, Monrepos Park displays garden art of the fifties and sixties with concrete elements and natural stone work. The park can be visited free of charge.
Guided tours through the park are possible after prior registration and against charge at Campus Geisenheim GmbH.
Phone: 06722 -502 0
Park Administration / Research Institute Geisenheim
The Park "Administration" dates back to the founding era of the Research Institute Geisenheim in 1872 and even today displays a valuable old tree population.
It is open permanently for visitors.
The park can be visited free of charge.
Guided tours through the park are possible after prior registration and against charge: Campus Geisenheim GmbH.
Phone: 06722 -502 0
Historical Landscape Park Niederwald
"Three high grounds at the Middle Rhine provide the most distant views, the Niederwald, Ehrenbreitstein, and Drachenfels".
The 17th chapter of the Rhine Journey from Basel to Düsseldorf (Rheinreise von Basel bis Düsseldorf) by Karl Baedecker (1801-1858) starts with these words.
Towards the end of the 18th century, the Niederwald, set up by the Counts of Ostein as a natural landscape park in the English style and equipped with different staffages enjoyed the reputation of being a special attraction. The viewpoints with the staffages are largely preserved. Baedecker continues:
A temple resting on columns, rising from dark beech wood 720 feet above the Rhine on the border of the vine plantations is without a doubt the most beautiful place of the Niederwald.
The temple, built by the Count of Ostein in 1788 as an attraction became the centre of many important minds during the Romantic Epoch of the 19th century. Among the visitors were Brentano, Beethoven and Goethe. In November 1944 allied bombers destroyed the temple completely, the reconstructured temple was re-inaugurated in June 2006.
The Niederwald Monument was erected during the years 1877 - 1883 after the draft of Johann Schilling from Dresden. The monument which is 38 metres high symbolises the re-erection of the German Empire after the Franco-German War 1870/71. The main figure is the Germania holding the imperial crown in her raised right hand and the imperial sword in her left hand.
The Niederwald, situated on a hill, can be reached from Rüdesheim/Rhine and Assmannshausen via a cabin cableway and/or a chairlift. The beautiful view from the monument reaches far into the inland of Rhineland Palatinate.
From the Niederwald monument one can take a sign-posted trail and after 30 mintues reaches the outlook "Naheblick", the artificial ruin "Rossel", which is located at the highest elevation of the Niederwald and the "Rittersaal" a sort of forest balcony. The three view points provide a magnificent view onto the river Nahes mouth, the Bingen hole (Binger Loch) with the ruins of Ehrenfels Castle and the Mouse Tower (Binger Mäuseturm), as well as onto the gorge-like Loreley Valley with the red wine community of Assmannshausen.
The Magicians Cave (Zauberhöhle) is also located in the Niederwald. The 60 m long walled path which was built around 1790 and whose walls are adorned with glittering glass stones leads into the rotunda of the wizards hut, where mirrors were originally made. If after the confusion involving the semi-dark glittering walled path the visitor stepped past the wizard sitting there with his long beard and magic wand, into the wizards hut, the dazzling visual lane towards the Rhine suddenly opened up to the him that was the trick - , as though he were in a magic world of nature.
Further information is available here: Rüdesheim/Rhine.
Rüdesheim Tourist AG
Geisenheimer Str. 22
65385 Rüdesheim am Rhein
Phone: 06722 - 90 615 0
The Apothecary's Garden Wiesbaden is a successful combination of pharmacy, ecology, landscape design and has approx. 250 plant species which are used for medical purposes.
The non-formally designed garden provides visitors with interesting insights into herbs, shrubs and trees grouped according to their medical application area as well as a rediscovery of the powers of nature and the benefit of plants for man's health on 5,500 square metres.
The Apothecary's Garden is open to the public from May to October and is located in the spa area Aukamm "Kurgebiet Aukamm").
Requests for guided tours: Dr Ernst Binde, Phone 06122 - 6447.
Further information can be obtained at: Apothekergarten Wiesbaden
Freundeskreis Apothekergarten Wiesbaden e.V.
Phone: 0611 / 42 46 22
Spa Park Wiesbaden
The spa park behind the Kurhaus ("Kurpark Wiesbaden") was established in 1852 as an English garden: magnolias, azalea, rhododendrons, swamp cypress grow here. A rich tree and bush population decorates the park which is 2 km long.
A fountain is situated in the artificial pond. The mussel-domed outdoor stage is richly ornamented and has space for an orchestra with up to 60 members. On the concert square directly in front of the stage, up to 3,800 guests can be placed. Further space for equipment and presentations is available among old trees.
At the "Nizzaplätzchen" the remaining columns of the old Kurhaus as well as a Dostojewski bust can be found.
Further information is available at the tourist information Wiesbaden:
Phone: 0611 - 1729 100
Biebrich Palaces Park
For Wilhelm von Nassau the well-known landscape artist Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell turned the park, which had been designed as a baroque pleasure garden at the beginning of the 18th century with a curved meadow valley as the gardens centre appearing as though it were natural, into a romantic landscape garden in 1817.
Today, the palaces park is a garden monument and also a public park. Biebrich Palace is idyllically situated on the bank of the Rhine.
The magnificent baroque building was the residence of the Princes of Nassau from 1744 to 1866.
A café/bistro with a big outdoor terrace and a view onto the Rhine is open for visitors.
The ruins of Moosburg castle are situated in the rear part of the palaces park as well as a smaller pond which can be circled during a comfortable walk.
Further information is available at:
Hessisches Immobilienmanagement - Niederlassung Wiesbaden